What I learnt from iphone Rehab

I did not really go into rehab but I guess I was close to a mental overload that showed in the following ways: I would go to the kitchen, start making pasta for dinner, go to my laptop…30 Minutes later someone nearly calls the fire brigade and I’m eating overcooked pasta.

Then in a time where work really picked up in my business and I had to follow a tough plan in order to manage all my work snow fell early November.

I still needed winter tyres. You have to understand that this is an obligation in Switzerland not a choice. If you are caught with summer tyres when the snow is already on the road the police can fine you. So in my lunch break on a day where my hubby stayed at home feeling unwell I’m trying to juggle housework and my other commitments. Then I remember the winter tyres and instead of checking the Internet via laptop I get frustrated trying to make an appointment over my i-phone.

I could not find the phone number. Then smack. An act of aggression. I smashed my phone on the floor. Been there?

The touch screen did not work any more.

“I am ruined. My life is over.” (Big red drama queen alert)

Lesson learnt: The touch screen is as sensitive as a human.

I noticed how much I depend on my phone within the next 24 hours. I had to buy an alarm clock. I did not have access to my bank accounts anymore. I did not know how I should find a new venue. I was looking out of the window. I read the newspaper.

Not being reachable had a few bonus points though. I got through with my plans and had a very productive day. I did not constantly check my phone. I did not read Twitter and Facebook. I opened Skype only for calls. I reviewed a lot of documents that urgently needed a review. I worked on my website. I watched a girl hugging a big teddy bear outside a pharmacy and she made me smile.

I listened in to people’s conversations. I felt calmer and less stressed. I did not feel that I had to read all my emails. I did not accept meetings changes other than cancellations. My assistant handled all official calls. I noticed that I can rely on her. I asked that she should set up meetings in person rather than making me call people. I expected people to accept that I am not available all the time.

I felt a little disconnected  with the buzz but a lot more connected with my heart.

I laughed and smiled more. I found a phone shop without navigation. I tried to remember my diary instead of checking everything twice. I accepted that I might run late and will not be able to tell anyone. I worked a whole week without phone. I don’t have a landline so I was getting worried about emergencies. It was ok but on Saturday I bought a new phone and a cover to protect it.

These days I remind myself to take breaks and to use a few analogue ways of communication such as a paper notebook. I helps me keep an overview about my projects and accomplishments. I delete apps such as Facebook on occasion so that I do not use every “free” minute to check what’s going on. I allow slow response times and we stopped having electronic devices in the bedroom, since we have an old-fashioned alarm clock now. Sleep has improved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Some HTML is allowed

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.